Master’s thesis project

I worked together with Futurice and Save the Childen Finland to create a mobile application for collecting feedback from children in support families. The concept started as a group effort in an event Futurice organized in 2015, after which I continued to work on the concept and created wireframes for the app. The app is targeted for children aged 4 to 12, which made design challenging, since the abilities and interests vary vastly in the age group. 

This thesis covers the creation and evaluation of the concept for the application, designing the content, interaction designs and evaluating usability and user experience. The concrete results from the design work cover paper sketches, wireframes, an interactive prototype and a list of improvement suggestions based on the evaluation.

My master’s thesis

Read more about the app Hemmo

Interaction design for an Android ticket sales system 2015

Moya is an online service for lan party ticket sales, shops, polls and competition management. In January 2015, a need for an Android app for event organizers arose and I created an interaction design for it. The purpose of the app is to scan tickets when visitors are entering the event. Visitors can be checked in by either scanning a barcode or a QR code from their tickets or then by manually searching a user from the event database. Organizers need to login to use the system. The app can be freely downloaded from the Google Play store but only users with correct access rights can use it.

An interactive mockup with Balsamiq 2014

As a group assignment for our course on User Interface Design (fall 2014), we designed a fictional service for the Tampere railway station. The main purpose of the service is to help train passengers to quickly find out information about their departure with the QR code in their ticket, either paper or mobile ticket, and to be able to browse through the services available at the station. The service can only be used from stationary 26″ screens scattered around the station. My main responsibilities in the project were to describe the hardware setup and to create a functional mockup of the system using an online tool called Balsamiq. Our grade for the assignment was 5/5.

Here is a screenshot showing some of the hardware setup portion in the final report.

Fictional stationary screen

The mockup created with Balsamiq can be viewed in this PDF Balsamiq-mockup-Paaso

Sansi website 2015

I started to build my online presence by creating an online portfolio site. I decided it was time to familiarize myself with the most popular CMS systems and chose WordPress to start with. What I have done with the site so far is changed the theme, customized it, added a couple of plugins and started to create content. Mostly it’s been about taking out a lot of features, since my site is not that complex and doesn’t require much. WordPress has been quite easy to work with, although it has taken a couple of hours to figure out how to simplify it.

Sakoni Oy website 2008

The aim of the project was to create a website, which the main user can update himself as needed. Out of the available content management systems, I chose Joomla because of its support for multiple languages. The company already had a hosting service for the previous web site so I installed Joomla and the related databases there. I customized an existing template to get a personalized look. I also still (2015) manage the company’s Google Adwords and Analytics accounts.